Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Mom to All Boys


Photo by Red Barn Photography
When I had my first son, I thought it was natural to have a male first to carry on the family name. Then, my second son was born… then the third… and finally… the fourth. Four boys; no girls.

When I became a mother, I thought I knew everything there was to know about boys. After all, I have a brother, and I married a male. How challenging could it be? I was never a girly girl, so I figured it would be easy to raise all males. Boy, was I wrong.

As a mother to all boys, one cannot have a weak stomach. There will be dirt, mysterious smells, and blood – lots and lots of blood. Due to the frequent accidents, mothers of all boys automatically receive a medical license. It just comes with the territory. I have assisted in surgeries, diagnosed broken bones, and removed stitches. The ER staff and I are on a first name basis. Sadly, I am not joking!
I have become quite proficient at creating meals to satisfy a small army with bottomless pits for stomachs.

My skillset includes the ability to interpret a yell as a war cry, celebratory shout, or call for help, make realistic truck, train, and car noises, and play video games like a pro.
I am the crazy lady on the sidelines wearing the “football mom”, “wrestling mom”, “insert sport here mom” shirt, taking photos, and carting an ice chest full of drinks to hydrate the entire team.
Seriously though, what is it with boys and their infatuation with bathrooms? My youngest just became potty trained, and with five males fighting for two bathrooms, I am lucky to take a shower without someone using the toilet!
Little boys (and big boys) give the best hugs, and I am fortunate enough to give dance lessons before middle school dances, coach boy’s athletic teams, and offer advice about girls – who are crazy by the way!

I am captivated by the love my boys exhibit and the lengths they will go to in an effort to protect one another; they have affectionately named their brotherhood clan “Boys Club”.
My boys are compassionate, polite, and confident. They work hard and play even harder. As their mother, I have the privilege of guiding them to become young men.

When my troupe of boys and I are in public, strangers frequently chuckle, shake their heads, and give me looks of pity. Inevitably, one will ask if I am going to try again for a little girl. They have no idea how full and rich my life is as a mother to four amazing boys.
We will not be trying for a girl. We have a Boys Club, and I am proud to be an honorary member.

This post was inspired by this post by Just Leesha.

No comments :

Post a Comment