Monday, July 4, 2011

First 5K

A couple of days ago, I decided to participate in the annual Oregon Trail Days Fun Run. Since I only began walking, running, or engaging in any cardiovascular activity whatsoever four days ago (I know, I am pathetic), I was not participating in hopes of winning. Instead, I just wanted to see what it was like. I have walked the 5k, but I wanted to experience running/walking the race in a competitive environment.

The options were a 1 mile race, a 5k race, or a 10k race. I knew that the 10k was not an option, so it was between the 1 mile and the 5k. After some thought, I went with the 5k. I knew that I would not be able to run the entire course, but I wanted to push myself and knew that the 1 mile would be too easy.

Once I decided to participate, I started searching for a running partner. I asked my sister to join me, but she said no. However, she informed Rachel Hinze that I was looking for a running partner. Now, if you don't know Rachel, she is a sweetheart. However, she is also an avid recreational runner, cross country runner, cross country and track coach, the list goes on. In short, Rachel's level of running and cardiovascular shape are extremely superior to mine. When I spoke with Rachel about the race, I provided her with a disclaimer that I am not a runner and have just started working out. I told her to imagine the worst cross country runner she has ever coached and multiply that by 10. Then, she would know my ability level. Rachel started laughing; she thought I was kidding! I wasn't; poor Rachel!
My first race number!
As you can see, I did participate. Here is an overview of the highs and lows:

Highs:
  • I did it!
  • I did not die!
  • I did not come in last place!
  • I am glad that I participated!
Lows:
  • My goal was to run the 5k in less than 30 minutes, but according to Rachel's unofficial time we finished in 31:40. So close!
  • I did have to stop and walk some of the time which I expected, but I was hoping I would not have to walk as often.
  • A five year old girl beat me. No, I am not kidding, she could not have been older than five!
  • It was probably the longest 5k Rachel has ever completed. Sorry Rachel! She probably could have won the race if she wasn't running with me.
Although there were highs and lows, I am very glad that I decided to participate in the 5k. It was a great experience and provided much motivation to keep running and working toward the half-marathon in October!

No comments :

Post a Comment