Friday, July 1, 2011

Bucket List

Do you have a Bucket List? I do. It is probably different than most Bucket Lists because it is more of an informal To Do List with short-term and long-term goals. It is not a written list; instead, it is a list in my head. It is the list that I go over each night when I should be sleeping. I add, mark off, and prioritize the list constantly. I can't help it! For example, I have a list of tasks I would like to accomplish before school resumes in August:
1.  Paint the house.
2.  Paint the shed.
3.  Replace the yard fence (with Greg's help).
4.  Stain the front and back decks. I am investigating a product called Deck Restore. Has anyone used it, heard any comments about it, etc.?
5.  Take the boys on a vacation - Yellowstone, Oregon Coast, or both. We are not sure yet.
6.  Figure out how to decorate my newly painted classrooms with ORANGE trim (the color swatch was RUST). More on that in future posts.
7.  Attend my cousin Scott's wedding in Montana.
8.  Oh, and complete three more graduate classes.
I know, I have a large list. But, it is not crucial that all of these tasks are completed this summer. It would just be nice if they were.

In addition to a short-term To Do List, I have a long-term Bucket List. This list and its priorities also change, but not as often:
1.  Save enough money to build a home.
2.  Obtain my Master's degree (Which I will be able to mark off the list next May!).
3.  I also have a secret goal to someday obtain my Doctorate, but it is not much of a secret because Toby knows and now you do too!
4.  Become Pioneer Woman. I know this is very unlikely, but she is my idol. This woman is amazing, and since I cannot become her, I will settle for meeting her someday.
5.  Travel to Hawaii. Hint, hint Toby.
6.  Empower and equip my children with the skills to be successful in life.
7.  Complete a half-marathon.

There are more, I just can't think of them right now, but this last goal is the reason for today's post. I have decided to train and participate in the Run for the Hills Half-Marathon on October 1, 2011. This event is three months from today. To be exact, it is 13 weeks from tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to train and prepare for the event.
I am not in the best shape, so it is probably good that I have until October 1 to prepare. I have never considered myself a runner, but I have always admired those who participate in marathons and half-marathons. The proceeds from the event go to a wonderful, local, nonprofit organization, Love INC. In addition, I have been trying to get motivated to lose weight and get into better shape without much luck. However, I believe that an upcoming event is just the motivation I need. And, by putting the goal in writing instead of just in my head, I will hold myself more accountable.

So, today was the first official day of training. As I said, I am not in great shape, so I am starting slow. Amy was kind enough to join me this morning which was a good thing, as my other training partner did not offer much support:
Do you have any advice or suggestions? Do you want to join me? I will keep you updated as the event approaches!

1 comment :

  1. Good for you! Writing these down will make you more accountable and I know anything you set your mind to - you can achieve!

    I want to be the Pioneer Woman too - maybe we can be the Pioneer Sisters :)

    ReplyDelete